Update 1.7.0 => 2.5: no updates available

Question:
I went into "Extension Manager: Update" and did "Purge Cache", following the posted instructions for updating 1.7 to 2.5.

However, although there's an 'i' saying "Purged updates", it states "There are no updates available at the moment. Please check again later."

Any idea as to why the Joomla! update is not showing up?

["Allow URL fopen" is on. Do we need "Allow URL include", too?]
[On my BlueOnyx server...]
Answers
Thanks, but finding a solution has turned out to be a bit more complicated than that.

Indeed, I couldn't even install the admintools until I remembered to kick myself and ugh, "Turn suPHP back on!" [It isn't turned on by default when new vsites are setup, and if you allow vsites to own sub-vsites, it's turned off permanently. There are also some utils installed with BlueOnyx that won't run with suPHP turned on (squirrelmail, for one), so when those are being used, suPHP has to be switched off. If you forget to flip it back on, Joomla Admin starts having problems...]

With admintools installed successfully, it found that there is an available update from 1.7.0 to 1.7.5.

However, I'm still unable to see a Joomla! update after purging the cache--it only reports doing that successfully and states, "There are no updates available ..."

Also, if click on "Discover", sometimes the red "Allow URL fopen is not set" will pop up, despite the fact that is it definitely turned on.

Does this mean that I have to get an assist from 1.7.5 before I can update to 2.5?
BTW, for anyone else--if you go to Site=>System Information => Directory Permissions and they're all marked in red as "unwritable", it's very likely your suPHP setting got flipped.
Installed akeeba_com as suggested.
Updated to 1.7.5 -- no change.
viking9 wrote:
BTW, for anyone else--if you go to Site=>System Information => Directory Permissions and they're all marked in red as "unwritable", it's very likely your suPHP setting got flipped.

Sounds like you have file Ownership issue
Joomla >> admin >>> site >>> system information ... what is your 'WebServer to PHP Interface' ?
cgi-fcgi
viking9 wrote:
It isn't turned on by default when new vsites are setup, and if you allow vsites to own sub-vsites, it's turned off permanently There are also some utils installed with BlueOnyx that won't run with suPHP turned on (squirrelmail, for one), so when those are being used, suPHP has to be switched off. .
This is all very bad Tweaking of PHP on the server..... First of all you can allow vsites owning their own subs...no issue and suPHP will run....(It runs on all our servers!) these have nothing to do except for very bad setup/tweaks. Squirrel runs well with suPHP and suHosin so tell your host to get their act together! (or just change host for sure!)
Quote:
Do we need "Allow URL include", too?
NEVER, EVER!!!!! That is deadly for your server

Leo 8)
On BlueOnyx there's a vsite-only php.ini tucked into the directory below the exposed website directory.
After finding the location of the setting to have the 'root' utility update the allow_url_fopen value in that file, it has been updated, and the "Find updates" button no longer flips between finding no updates and posting an "allow_url_fopen" setting error.

However, choosing the Joomla 2.5.1 update and clicking "Update" goes to a white screen that just sits there. I wouldn't expect that it would take over 5 minutes even to get some sort of message back from the updater.
If it matters, this running Joomla! admin through Firefox 8.0.1
viking9 wrote:
...
However, choosing the Joomla 2.5.1 update and clicking "Update" goes to a white screen that just sits there....

Do you have a custom Template as default for the front end ? Sometimes an incompatible front end Template can cause back end errors. Also check your extensions are up to date.
I do have a third-party template on the front.

I still can't update any of the extensions reported as needing update--the only one is the JCE editor, and updating it causes the same white-screen of coma.

I'd rather not have to switch the site out of that front end. Any suggestions of getting around this trial?

BTW, my thanks to everyone who's responded on this.
viking9 wrote:
...
I'd rather not have to switch the site out of that front end. ...

Unless you uninstall the default custom Template before you upgrade then you don't know if that is causing it.

I wasted nearly a whole day because of an incompatible Template. Even after installing an updated version of the Template did not get the site working. It was only by unistalling the Template before the upgrade that prevented the issues.

Suggest you
re instate your pre upgrade backup
unistall the custom Template then try the Joomla upgrade

Using something like Xampp on your PC may help when trying to update.
Problem resolved:

Turns out I didn't have to uninstall any templates, but it took a little digging.

JCE editor would not update successfully through the "Updates found" mechanism. It left files lying around in the tmp directory. Joomla would not update either with the old JCE editor in place or with its temporary files left in the tmp directory.

I deleted all its failed tmp files, downloaded the new version of the JCE editor locally, updated through the Extensions Mgr => Install mechanism and got it in place with no error.

After this, clearing the cache, doing Extensions Mgr => Purge Cache, then => Find Updates brought up the 2.5.1 update. Running => Update there went through the update successfully, but reported the database errors. Then doing Extensions Mgr => Database => Fix cleared all those.

The only thing thereafter was that Akeeba Admin Tools wouldn't update through the Extensions Mgr => Update mechanism either, but it had no problems when run directly from its own Admin Tools => Administrator update screen.

THANKS!
That's a Smart Move! Economy Hosting for $1.99/mo.